How To Cook Rice In A Wok: The Easiest Method Ever
While this trick has been around for ages, rarely do you see it employed in the modern kitchen. Rather than cooking rice in the traditional manner of covering the pot of rice with a lid, you must also cover the rice with a wok of water. This will be followed by your rice being cooked over high heat, either on the stove top or in the oven. Once your rice is cooked, you can serve it with your choice of accompaniments. Before we begin besure to check out the Best Asian Rice Cooker just in case you are on a rush. But you still can cook with a Wok, just follow the simple directions below.
How to cook rice in a wok
Step 1: Add 3 or 4 cups of water to the wok. This will start a good stir of the rice.
Step 2: Lower the heat under the wok until it reaches 200 degrees Celsius (392 F). This will bring out the maximum flavours from the rice.
Step 3: Once the rice is ready to be cooked, turn off the heat and remove the lid.
Step 4: Sprinkle your rice with a little salt and stir the rice as this ensures the flavours of the rice stay strong.
Step 5: To seal in the flavours of the rice, you can either serve it with the seasoning and keep it in the pot, or you can cook it in an oven at about 180 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes. Once cooked, the rice will be easy to remove from the wok by using a spoon.
What is a Wok?
The wok is a circular frying pan that has a handle on top that allows it to be placed directly on the stove top. The bottom is always round, which is due to the bowl of oil in the center.
Why Cook Your Rice In A Wok?
Because it is safer and easier than the traditional method.
Many many people have serious burn issues from rice cooking on a stove top.
The stove top method, while healthy and delicious, is definitely a big danger to people who are more vulnerable. In the unlikely event of a burn, it takes 30 to 40 minutes for the person to feel the burn.
What is the Difference Between Brown Rice and White Rice?
White rice is actually a mixture of three different kinds of rice. The bran is stripped away during milling and the germ is removed.
How to Clean a Wok
If you’re looking for a way to clean your wok, a simple method is to take a dish rag and a can of either spray or glass cleaner. Throw the rag into the wok with the rice and start mixing. While the rice is still wet, just wipe it clean. If you want to use the liquid as an extra rinse, you can mix it in before you transfer it to the sink.
Grilled Rice With Cilantro, Tomatoes and Lime
Using a wok and some good-quality soy sauce, you can cook your rice and vegetables over a high flame. Once the vegetables are done, place the cooked rice in the wok, turn the heat down to low, cover and leave it alone for 10 minutes. When done, drain any excess liquid, drizzle with a little oil and serve.
Tips for Cooking Rice in a Wok
1. As with any other wok dish, you must have a wok suitable for cooking rice. An electric rice cooker or regular pot will not do.
2. Most rice cookers are designed to cook flat rice such as basmati, jasmine, or arborio. Rice of other rice cultivars will not be cooked effectively in them.
3. Do not forget to rinse your wok after cooking. If there is oil or other impurities trapped in the wok, the rice will not cook. You need a clear wok for this step.
4. Do not use your regular burner to heat up the wok because this will be uneven heat distribution. You must cook the rice in a separate wok. This way the heat is uniform and evenly distributed all over the rice and not concentrated in just one part of the wok.
5. Do not turn off the heat while cooking rice.